Saturday, January 03, 2009

Saturday's Song

I'm going to try to highlight a "new" song on Saturdays this year. But since I don't do much "new" music, a lot of it will be digging up songs that I just happen to love that might be new to you, especially since I grew up in Canada, and I've got a ton of favourite music that didn't quite crack the US music scene. That's what I'm going to highlight here:

"At the Hundredth Meridian" - Tragically Hip

2nd verse rocks:

"If I die of Vanity, promise me, promise me
That if they bury me some place I don't want to be
That you'll dig me up and transport me
Unceremoniously away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees
Whispers of disease, and acts of enormity
And lower me slowly, sadly, and properly
Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy"


What's great about this song, and this section in particular, is that it really hits on the kind of Canadian nature-loving spirit that still makes my heart sing. It almost makes me want to jump in my car and drive out West...

No comments: