Sunday, January 11, 2009

Saturday's Song - late Sunday night

I've got this imaginary file that seems to keep growing - it's the list of songs that I hear and go "wow, did you hear that? That was so profound, I swear it echoes God." It's more than possible that these weekly song shout outs may turn into something like that. I'm always blown away by what I hear, especially from "secular" artists. Honestly, there's a lot of crap out there in the "Christian" world that makes me want to "say no, and go, and tell someone you trust."

Anyway, here's the song I want to plug: Far Away, by Nickleback. I'm 99% sure this song is written from the perspective of a guy who's on the road a ton and hasn't seen his love, who's at home. He just wants to tell her he loves her and wants to be with her. Nothing original there. But as I hear this song, I swear I hear God singing and I have visions of the story of the prodigal son. In fact, it's almost like a back-and-forth between the son and the father. I know I'm taking liberties here, but I hope the band doesn't mind. I'll pull out the lines that really hit home and let you go through the whole song if you're interested. It begins with the son:

Son:This time, This place Misused, Mistakes
Too long, Too late Who was I to make you wait...
'Cause you know, you know, you know, you know

(Chorus)That I love you, I have loved you all along
And I miss you, Been far away for far too long...


Father:...'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all, I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know, you know, you know

(Chorus)That I love you, I have loved you all along
And I miss you, Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me and you'll never go...

...

But you know, you know, you know

Father:I wanted, I wanted you to stay

Son:'Cause I needed, I need to hear you say

Father:That I love you, I have loved you all along
And I forgive you, For being away for far too long
So keep breathing, 'Cause I'm not leaving


Son:Hold on to me and never let me go

Just re-listening to this song to put it up here was emotional. I mean, how can it not be, imagining the embrace of God, to us - hearing that God would (and did) withstand all of Hell for us, that God has always loved us, that God wants us to keep breathing, keep living. And then, my response? Exactly that last line of the song - "Hold on to me and never let me go..."

No comments: