Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Time to get fit

I'm not into New Year's resolutions. January 1 is in many ways a bit contrived. What's the difference in starting something 1/1 and starting something 12/18? Why put off until January what you can start now, right? Or maybe it's simply my way of not having to own up to any changes in my life. If I don't make a resolution, I don't need to worry about living up to it, right?

The truth is, I've gotten a little flabby in a few areas of my life and I'm recognizing that I need a specific and concerted effort to get back in shape. Yes, Charles Barkley, I know round is a shape too, but it's not the shape I want to exemplify in my physical body. I've reflected on this a bunch lately, especially in relation to my family history of high blood pressure and heart issues. I'm now 6 months into 30, and I think it's time I get back into a regular routine of physical exercise. I'm going to sit down and figure out the most effective way of tracking that online - without grossing anyone out.

The other area I'm owning up to is financial flabbiness. At one time, I was all over my finances. We never had a credit card we didn't pay off each month (save for large purchases we paid off in a few - and had a plan each time). Well, in the last 5 years, after going to seminary and having 2 kids, that's all changed - and I hate it. So, I've got 2 plans: 1) Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I'm just not sure if I should save $10 and purchase on Amazon, with my credit card, or purchase in the store with cash. 2) A clergy tax seminar which will hopefully get some other stuff straightened around for us 'cause I'm a little concerned the IRS is going to come after me. I'm now way beyond the EZ file and a little concerned 'cause being a minister & dealing with taxes is not easy.

So... now that I've told "the world" about these two areas of flabbiness, I have everyone out there to be accountable to get in shape. Hmmm... this might have been a mistake...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace Revisited" if you'd like to borrow it. (My friend Tim may have it right now, but he's had it for a while and I can get it back pretty easily.) I like a lot of what he says on finances and budgeting. I also like that he's not heavy-handed about tithing. It's there, but he doesn't beat it into your head and the main point. Basically, he assumes you're doing that and building it into your budget.

As for physical flab, I've found that my wife has a very solid diet plan: Eat less. Move more. Fairly simple, but it seems to work. Not eating crap seems to be pretty important as well.

Good luck! (Oh, also, I'm really anal retentive about money and budget and I like talking about that sort of thing... so if you want someone to talk with about that stuff, I'm available!)