Thursday, October 27, 2005

I've got a problem: I'm in love!

So, I'm on break right now, and I know I should be reading for school, I should be getting ahead with my reading and writing in preparation for a very busy week coming up, but I can't seem to get away from my new love. I'm totally enrapt. I seem to think so often of my love that I can't focus on much else. I want so much to learn about, see and visit my new love that it's making it very hard to focus.

Wait, I should define exactly what I'm talking about here. Some of you might be worried...no, I don't have a girlfriend. I'm not in love with another woman silly! I'm in love with the UK! I'm totally infautated with the idea of living in Great Britain, possibly studying there - maybe up in Scotland @ St. Mary's College the divinity school for St. Andrew's. I've been reading Susan Howatch's Scandalous Risks and it just cements for me that I want to be over there. I want to experience the ol' CofE, the suffocation of class structure, the exquisite stone buildings, centuries old cathedrals... I just want to be there. But right now, I'm stuck here. So... I end up spending hours looking at the possiblities of studying abroad. I've looked into the different programs St. Mary's College has to offer. I've looked a little at her faculty and the overseas students info. The only problem (besides the fact that I'm neglecting my studies here to do this) is that in 2 years, when I'm finally done here at PTS, I'll have a 15 mo. old baby, school debt (and/or credit card debt) that will still need paying off and normally it would be the time where I'd be looking to get ordained and settle in a church. But what about my love? What about England or Scotland? What about Europe? She calls my name!

Then of course, the thougth occurs to me - what about for a sabbatical? What about in 7 years or so? But could I wait that long? Would I still want to go? Would our family be in the right place then? Uggghhhh!!! Why can't my love and I just be together? Bridgette understands. Heck, she wants to go too! If only...


Photo courtesy of Ian Britton (c) FreeFoto.com

4 comments:

jlee said...

I never knew that you were a Brit at heart... I'd love to hear more about the background of this 'love' and what this actually may look like for you. It would be great if we could hang out over a cup of coffee or something. Wait, that is tomorrow at 2 PM...

Anonymous said...

Yawn, been there, done that. :)Come over and visit before feburary I can hook you up with free housing. Also, there is a serious lack of pastors over here. Scottland is absolutely amazing, I went on a trip there in September.

Here are the photos:

I miss you guys!

-Dave-

Higgins said...

Can I say something totally obvious here, and not sound arrogant or even Sunday-school-basic? I think that if God put that desire in your heart, and He really wants you there, you WILL go, if you are faithful to Him. This isn't about us, our resources, or our timing. This is about His purposes and Him accomplishing His will. I believe you will go to Britain, if it is want God wants for you and if you are faithful to Him.

I hope that sounds good to you - cause I would be happy to see you GO! (ha ha ha)

jlee said...

Where is Don? Where are the posts? Where is Don?