Saturday, October 01, 2005

Getting my Groove On


What I usually find is the most difficult part of starting something new is getting into some kind of rhythm. Now, as you can see from the picture... "I've got rhythm, I've got music..." but the problem is matching MY rhythm to what's going on around me. Case in point would be this new semester. I'm not going to sit here complaining about my situation (14 credit hours, 10hr internship, 8-12 hr/wk job, plus being married) because I know there are TONS of people out there doing so much more, and having it so much worse (Gulf Coast - case in point).

But that's because I'm not talking about the amount of stuff I'm doing. In College I held down a full course load, part-time job, ran track, was a Resident Adviser and my senior year was planning a wedding (and taking Biblical Greek) - so what I'm saying is that I'm used to doing a lot. The problem is getting into the rhythm and flow of doing what you're doing so that everything gets done and that nothing gets pushed to the side that is important.

In fact, I think this semseter more than any other time in my life is going to force me into being proactive. My class schedule is EXTREMELY frontloaded. I have but 1 hour of class on Thursday and Friday each (meaning I have 11 hours Mon-Wed). This means that I have to make sure I'm spending time Thursday and Friday being proactive about reading for the following week. For me, this is not a skill I have yet to acquire.

Now, as a Christian in particular, I think this is an extremely necessary perspective that we all need to get behind in some way or another. The truth is, our existence seems very frontloaded. It matters for the future, so much what we do now. The consequences of the future, of our eternal future, matter in the right here and now. We can't live our lives thinking that "some day" we'll do this or that, "some day" we'll start really living for God. We have to do it now, because frankly, "some day" will never happen...

No comments: