Saturday, October 08, 2005

My Family is a TRIP... literally


So, if there's ever been a question as to why I'm so loud and obnoxious, one need only look to the family of my birth. They're in town for the weekend, and it's funny 'cause everywhere I go with them, be it the flag football field, the mall, BabiesRus, Dinner... somehow I become the quiet one. I don't know if it's that I've changed a lot since moving out, getting married and stuff, or it's that I've always been a little more like that. I tend to think that I've adapted more to my surroundings, which aren't quite as loud and chaotic as they used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have my family in town visiting this weekend. They made the trip from Cambridge, Ontario which should take 8-9 hours (it took them 12+ but there's no need to talk about that). It's fun to have them here, have them experience a little bit of our lives and what we do - see our apartment and stuff.

But it is different. It's funny because every time I see them it's like I feel a little less theirs and a little more Bridgette's. They're my family... but at the same time, we're carving out our own little family. It's a wierd experience. It feels like a further stage of individuation or something. Being 27 years old, married for 5 years and expecting our first child in February, I'd think that I should have figured out that whole individuation by now. But I guess I still have some growing up to do. Funny how it takes your family to show you that...

1 comment:

jlee said...

We are all relating... I definitely become a different person around my family, especially when my sister is around. She is a very talkative person and I go into a shell.

The hardest part for me is the fact that my mom has become an insane Patriots fan and she doesn't want me to call during games. Do I hear role reversal?

Here is what is looks like... I call my mom.
She picks up, "Yeah hello."
Me - "Hi Mom, how are you?"
Mom - "uh... wait... oh no!"
Me - "What?"
Mom - "can you call me back later, the Pats are on and they are blowing it!"
Me - "sure"

What is that all about?