Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Adding to Christ...

It's been nearly a week since I posted. We've been traveling in NY, celebrated Bridgette's Birthday @ Olive Garden and generally been feeling under the weather. But through it all I've been reading & contemplating Karl Barth's theology of vocation, on which I am doing an "independant" study (with my friend Wes, over at the WB). Anyway, I've not had time to write my thoughts, but I thought I'd throw out there a couple quotes and let them resonate a bit, then comment.

"Hence the concept of the witness and his speech and action, whenever it is implicitly or for the most part explicitly used in the New Testament in the theologically relevant sense, refers to a man who bears witness to Jesus in word and act and attitude. He does not bear witness abstractly to benefits and gifts which he may point out to those around as one who knows and has received them, but concretely to Jesus as the Lord, the Son of God, the Messiah, the Savour of the world, in short, as the Subject, source and fulness of the grace which God has manifested to the world and all men and which includes as such all the benefits and gifts which may be seriously regarded as such." (IV.3.2, 71.4)

What do we add...

No comments: