Thursday, April 17, 2008

More evidence Macs will rule the world

For those of you who know me, you know I'm a Mac guy. I'm not a computer geek - I just don't quite have the aptitude - but I got turned on to a Mac when my boss forced me into an iMac way back in '02. I haven't looked back since. I tear up when I think I'm forced to type on a Dell in the office...

Anyway, I came to an epiphany years ago that is slowly coming to fruition - Macs will one day rule the world. How? 2 simple reasons: 1) They're getting the kids. Even 5 years ago, elementary schools were chalk full of Macs. Kids were becoming fluent with them and those same kids, when faced with a decision, won't be scared of a Mac like their parents, and will be wooed by the sleek and sexy design. And 2) When you look at TV & Movies you almost ONLY see Macs. If you never looked outside your window but only looked at the world through these mediums, you'd think everyone owned a Mac. At this point, in the US, their market share is only 6.6% - but that's up. It's now higher than Toshiba. And if you've not heard What IBM is doing with Macs then read about it, and recognize this is the first sign of the Apocalypse for Microsoft. Thankfully, Bill's already committed millions of his ill-gotten-gain to blessing the world. Maybe one day Steve Jobs will have made enough money to do the same...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve Jobs has made PLENTY of money. He may not be in Bill Gates territory, but nobody else is either.

Interestingly enough, the world of design and advertising has been running on Macs for years. Design programs have been consistently better on Macs since the beginning.

However, I've heard rumor that Pixar actually works on PCs - whereas (again) any design or animation used to belong almost exclusively to Mac.

And if you get in your way back machine, you'll see that Macs have fostered a presence in movies and TVs for years. That really didn't seem to do much for them until they started producing some stunningly beautiful equipment (that may be an overstatement, but when compared to the old beige boxes, Macs were definitely a piece of art).

I enjoy being relatively fluent on both.

Rhett Smith said...

must have been Lars http://roodman.typepad.com

me too...i love Macs because he gave me his old one when I took over as the college director.

thanks lars.

jlee said...

I almost burned my Mac on Sunday. I lost the connection piece that allows for the screen to be displayed through a projector. I was unable to show my leadership training presentation due to the "special" connector not being available (yes I lost it but Mac should account for that right?)...

I ended up using my admin's DELL in order to EASILY connect the projector to the laptop and show the presentation.

I still use my Mac at the church sometimes but that almost was the end of my Mac run... Let's see if I can recover. :)