Wednesday, October 25, 2006

SOMEONE thinks I'm ready

Actually, the truth is more like AT LEAST two people think I know enough about Theology/Exegesis/Polity/Worship to be an ordained pastor. Here's the story - Monday was the date we were "supposed" to hear back about our ordination exams. They were graded a month ago, written two months ago, but we'd find out Monday if we passed or not - the actual exams will be returned in about a week from now. Well, all morning we're sending back and forth e-mails, text messages and phone calls trying to find out if the results had come in yet. But finally, just before 2pm the e-mail was sent out - we could come in to claim our "prizes" anytime before 4:30pm that day. Which was great, 'cause I was looking after both Brennan & Denali until about 4:15pm or so...

Well, our friend Rachel came to pick up Denali at about 4:10pm, I grabbed Brennan from his crib (where he'd been sleeping peacefully) threw on his jacket, into his car seat and sped to campus. I reached the office just in time, and was handed an envelope with the contents of the picture inside. What you may not be able to read is that I received a Satisfactory grade on all 4 of the exams I wrote in August. Not that after writing them I had any more angst about passing them than any other exam I've ever written - I mean, once they're out of your hands, there's pretty little you can do. In fact, I felt like the questions were more than fair and that especially on the Theology, Polity & Worship exams there were not many enormous pot holes. In fact, as of right now I'm not sure I know of anyone who has failed those three - of course, my sphere is kinda small right now, so who knows.

But as I looked at those results, it was kinda freaky too. People have read my thoughts and arguments and believe that what I said so conforms to the standards in our denomination as they abide by Scripture that they feel like I'm worthy to be ordained... that I could possibly be THEIR pastor. Whao! Over the next few months I'm going to be preparing more paperwork for my Final Assessment, the last real hurdle before seeking and accepting a first call to be someone's pastor. I know I've grown a lot in these past few years - but it's still a little surreal to think that I'm not far off from being someone's pastor. There is a lot of responsibility with that and I know I'm not quite ready. I know that this last year has taken its toll on me physically, emotionally and spiritually and that these next months are going to be crucial in preparing for the pastorate. Princeton doesn't do a particuarly good job in preparing people to be pastors - great thinkers/writers/communicators, great at deconstructing ideas, great at dialoguing - but not necessarily great at the skills needed to survive and thrive in ministry. That's where one has to be intentional, and so that's what I'm about to do right now...

4 comments:

The Rice's said...

Does that mean that you passed all the tests you took? Bridgette said sometimes people have to take them twice!! Great job!! We prayed for that! Jenn, Brad,& Paige

Anonymous said...

congrats

Adam said...

congrats dude. that's great.

they think i'm good on theology, worship & saraments and exegesis too (even scarier!) :) but i have yet to take the polity one.

yay.

Higgins said...

Good job Don! I'm wicked proud of you dude! I'm cheering for ya man :)