Saturday, July 30, 2005

I needed that



I just spent a couple hours with a friend, having coffee and talking about stuff that is real. It was great, because it was absolutely, exactly what I needed. We shared our history, and our hopes for the future, and as you would THINK two guys in Seminary would do, we talked about God and the reality of God in our lives.

It's sad to say that conversations like that one with FRIENDS have been conspicously absent in my life for awhile. Sad. And the reality of God in my life has in many ways been absent as well. It's so easy to make God some abstract entity, some thing, that has only a small effect on your life and little or no immediate impact. But that's not the truth.

For awhile, I've needed to be reminded of the truth of the things that really matter, and the one THING that ultimately matters. Today, with the help of a friend, I was. And I look forward to more of that. Life is too short to be spent on things that don't really matter. Unfortunately, I often need many reminders of what really DOES matter.

"I want you just like a hole in my head, but I need you like a meal and a bed..."

1 comment:

jlee said...

great description of the blog... your approach is similar to mine. i am not trying to be important or look important. i just want to have a place to put ideas where my close friends can chime in if they feel led.