Wednesday, May 06, 2009

What's YOUR Song?

Music is a powerful tool and it strips away so much and allows us to feel emotions that sometimes are so deep below the surface that we don't even realize we experience. But when you hear those notes, or when you hear that one line, your body tingles, your skin is set on fire and you KNOW that you're alive.

I blogged awhile back about the song that's probably MY song right now, Never Let Go. It's such an amazing reminder to me, of God's unending - unending love. And I'm really hoping to teach that to my boys. Every time we hear the song come through the CD player in our car, I reach back and grab Brennan's hand, because that's OUR song. I want him to know that even more than my love for him, God's love is greater - and HE never lets go.

That said, I was driving the other day and listening to Christian Radio - which meant Bridgette had been driving the car before me, 'cause I raerly turn on Christian Radio, simply because the play list is way too short and so much of it is 10 years old and a bit sappy. Anyway, I'm listening and this song comes on by Third Day, that I think I've heard a bunch before, but with the current series we're preaching through at Liberty "Hope for a Hurting World" - I heard it with new ears. Particularly, the second verse, which begins with this:

For the marriage that's struggling just to hang on
They lost all of their faith in love
They've done all they can to make it right again
Still it's not enough...

There is hope for the helpless
Rest for the weary
Love for the broken heart
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus, Cry out to Jesus


Just to be sure, my marriage isn't in trouble. But growing up in a broken home, one redeemed by God, I must say, and in a culture where divorce seems almost the norm instead of the exception (and I know way too many people who are or have struggled through a disintegrating marriage) - my heart just broke hearing that.

But of course, God's hope is in no way restricted to marriages, which is what this song talks about - hope for the lonely, hope for the tired, hope for those in pain and burdened with addictions - hope for everybody. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is beyond God's redeeming, which means that in everything, we need to cry out to Jesus.

If you're reading this, maybe this song was for you. If it wasn't I'd love to know what your song is right now. What song are you singing, or is singing you, and why? There are so many songs that God has placed in our hearts...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me it's a different song almost every day. I wake up and there's a song in my head. I figure there's something about the song that the Holy Spirit wants me to take notice of. Sometimes I figure it out (or at least I think I figure it out) and sometimes not. I really connect with God through music and it's a wonderful tool for helping others connect with the divine.