Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"Offline"

For the first time in quite awhile, I spent a significant amount of time "offline." For nearly 72 hours I recieved no e-mail and had virtually no internet contact, not to mention television and cell phone use. It was far different from my "normal" days. But it was good, and when I get a second I'll comment a little further on the experience, sans technology...

************************************
further comment
************************************

Being offline was somewhat odd. It wasn't exactly for a lack of trying. I had my laptop with me the entire time I was away. I made an attempt to access my e-mail, but I was unable to garner an internet signal that wasn't password protected - whatever happened to free Wi-Fi? Anyway, my time was so structured and settled that save for a few brief moments before bed and after bed there was really no time to be "online." Did I miss it? Some. But spending time with people, which was mostly what I did, was exhilirating - and tiring, and I feel that is a lot of what I do online anyway - in a virtual way. No, long gone are the days of chatrooms & 20 comment blog "conversations." I spend most of my time online either reading & responding to e-mail, or reading information that will help & equip me be more effective, and of course some sports stuff - but not during lent.

It was a great time and yet an odd time in that. I did fee like an "important" - or at least regular - part of my life was missing. The internet has become such a secondhand tool to my generation. But it also reminded me that lots can be had "offline" as well. And the internet, although a great tool, can be abused when instead of facilitating community it becomes an end to itself. On that note, it's probably time that I did something else...

1 comment:

jlee said...

Thanks for sharing about your experience. It reminds me that I need to take some time offline.

Fasting = offline. We spend so much time online that we actually forget what it is like to be offline. We need breaks. I am not taking one now because I am commenting on your blog...