Friday, October 17, 2008

Growing up

I've spent a good deal of time with Brennan over the last couple days - or at least it seems so. I got a chance to go out in the backyard and play with him in the sandbox and build a sand castle Wednesday before dinner. Yesterday we spent time together building a train track in the afternoon and walking to Buehler's for a couple items in the evening. And this morning I brought him in early to the church office so I could get some work done and help Bridgette by only having to get one child together to get to our MOPS program. Anyway, it hit me in a few ways over these past couple days that Brennan is growing up - seriously.

When I say this, it's not one of those "my kid is special" things. He's not quite 3 years old (Jan 11, '09) - he's no Einstein or Mozart, and I don't think I'd want him to be anyway. But I'm thoroughly impressed with how I can have a conversation with him. Not all the time, and not of immense substance, but he does have this way of talking with me that makes me go "wow - he's like a little person!" And honestly, it's probably the most rewarding thing about being a parent - being able to interact with him as he grows up.

I wonder, is this anything like our relationship with God? Does God take this kind of joy in our ability to grow in our faith to a point that we can actually converse with God? And if so, shouldn't the question be for all of us, why wouldn't we want to grow up? Why wouldn't we want to have that interactive relationship with the one who created us - the one who loves us with an everlasting love? I think growing up is a good thing it's just a matter of what we grow up into...

No comments: